Mysore is a district that is located in the southern part of the state Karnatka. It is also considered as Sri Chama Rajendra Zoological Gardens officially. It is a huge Zoo that covers 157-acre of land, the Zoo is located near to the Mysore palace . Mysore Zoo is one of the oldest zoo and the most popular Zoo in the whole country. Mysore Zoo has a wide range of species i.e. around 168. Mysore Zoo is one of the tourist place and the city’s popular attractions. Mysore Zoo is accounted to be one of the best Zoo in Karnataka. A common Mysore picnic spot for school students is zoo, as the Mysore garden, birds and animals entices children more than adults.
Best Time To Visit In Mysore Zoo
The best time to visit in Mysore Zoo is on the weekends except on Tuesday. The crowd is much lesser on the weekday as compared to the weekends. However, if one like bird watching then the best time is to visit is in morning as it is said that birds are more active during morning hours of the day. At the same time as it is less sunny in the morning, other animals are more active during that time of the day and it is easy to spot them or see them active. During summers, most of the animals and bird are hidden due to extreme heat so it is best recommended to visit before 10:30AM or after 3:00PM in summer season.
Travelers Tips For Mysore Zoo
- One who is planning to visit Mysore zoo has to consider the climatic weather in mysore. Mysore generally has hot season as compared to other places around Bangalore.
- One should carry a cap/hat and a water bottle along. As the surface of the zoo is huge for people who wish to walk through the entire zoo.
- Mysore zoo photos are chargeable separately. There are extra charges to carry video cameras and take photography of animals and birds. One needs a proper authority as well as needs to pay extra to succeed in the activity.
Mysore Zoo Timing
Mysore Zoo Timings are very basic and common considering when animals can be found active for the visitors and for the humans to visit the zoo without hustling much with the time restriction. The timings to visit the Zoo are on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday is 8:30AM to 5:30PM. On Tuesday’s the Zoo is closed, as there are a lot of visitors on the other days, the zoo needs to get properly cleaned with the maintenance and proper vaccination for the animals. The authorities of zoo takes proper care of the animals and the vicinity of the zoo.
Mysore Zoo Ticket Price
Although Mysore Zoo is a must visit who plans to visits Mysore for tourism or an outing. The zoo charges a basic entry price to people visiting the zoo. The price for an adult on the weekday is between 50 ₹ to 70 ₹ and on the holidays or government holidays they charge 70 ₹ to 100 ₹. Whereas, for children they charge 20 ₹ to 30 ₹ on the weekday’s and 40 ₹ – 50 ₹ on the holidays or government holidays. They have special tickets for people who wishes to go around the zoo by jeep. This jeep service is given by the zoo authority and they charge ₹100 – ₹200 for this ride for one person.
Mysore is one the tourist attractions for people who are touring in the state Karnataka or anywhere around Bangalore city. Mysore is known for its strong Historic and Cultural influence. There are several places to go around in Mysore. All the Mysore places are historic and influential for visitors. Few of the places in Mysore as tourist attraction are Mysore palace, Mysore zoo, Chamundeshwari temple, Brindavan gardens, Jagamhan palace, St.philomena’s cathedral Mysore.
Places To Visit In Mysore
The famous Mysore places to visit are:
- GRS Fantasy Park – A waterpark with thrilling water rides for all the age groups. One has to buy entry passes to enter and enjoy at the water park. They provide with great facilities like Amphitheatre, car parking, banquet halls, gift shop, resturants, changing rooms etc.
- Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary – Also commonly known as Pakshi Kashi of Karnataka. The bird sanctuary is located in the Mandya District of the state of Karnataka. It is one of the largest bird sanctuary in the state that covers 40 acres of land and comprises a small land on the banks of the Kaveri river. It was accounted that the sanctuary has more than a two lakh visitors in the recent years.
Tourist places in Mysore
There are various places to see/visit in Mysore, the few famous Mysore tourists spots are :-
Mysore zoo – Mysore Zoo consists of varieties of species of birds and animals. It is one of the best place to visit with kids as they enjoy watching animals and birds. The Mysore zoo holiday day is on Tuesday. It is one the oldest zoo in Mysore with many visitors every passing year. It is counted to be one the best and a famous zoo in India.
Mysore palace – Mysore palace is also known as Ambavilas Palace . It is a royal residency and historical palace in at Mysore in the State of Karnataka. Mysore palace ticket price is Rs. 50 for adults and foreign tourists, Rs.30 for children between 10-15years. Mysore is commonly reffered as the ‘City of Palaces’, and there are total of seven palaces. ‘Mysore Palace’ is also referred as an Old fort. Mysore Palace is one of the most famous tourist attraction in India.
Lalit mahal palace – It is the second largest palace in Mysore. It is located in the east of the city of Mysore in the State of Karnataka. The palace was built in 1921 at the orders of the Highness Krishraja Wodeyar. The elegant palace is painted pure white.
Chamundeshwari temple – The Chamundeshwari Temple is a Hindu temple that is located on the top of Chamundi Hills which is at the distant of about 13 km from the Mysore in the state of Karnataka. The temple was mainly named after Chamundeshwari an avatar of Durga. Chamundeshwari is called by the people of Karnataka as Naada Devathe which means State Goddess.
Brindavan garden -It is a garden that is located in the Mandya District of the State of Karnataka. It is adjacent to the Krishna Raja Sagra Dam, which is built across the Kaveri river. The garden is visited by approximately 1.5million tourists every year.
Sightseeing of Mysore
Mysore sightseeing are as follows:-
Melody World Wax Museum – The museum entry charged are Rs. 50 with extra charges to carry cameras inside the museum. The museum is open on all the days of the week, the timings of the museum is 9:30 AM to 7:00 PM. The museum boasts about the wide collection of musical instruments in Karnataka that belong to different part of the country.
Krishna Raja Sagara Dam(KRS) – Krishna Raja Sagara Dam is also popularly known as KRS, it is the dam and a lake that creates KRS. The gravity dam is below the confluence of river Kaveri with its tributaries Lakshmana Tirtha and Hemavati, in the district of Mandya. Ornamental garden i.e. Brindavan garden is attached to the dam.
Tombs of tipu sultan and hyder ali(gumbaz) – The Gumbaz located in Srirangapatna is a Muslim mausoleum in the centre of a landscaped garden, that holds the graves of Tippu Sultan, and his father Hyder Ali, and his mother Fakr-Un-Nisa. Gumbaz was built by Tippu Sultan that leads to house the graves of his parents. The British allowed Tippu to be buried in Gumabz after his death in the 1799.
Karanji lake – A lake that is located in the city of Mysore in the state of Karnataka. The lake is found to be surrounded by a nature park that consists of a butterfly park and a walk-through aviary. This aviary is said to be the biggest ‘walk-through aviary’ in the whole India. The entire lake covers upti 90 hectares of land with the waterspread of 55hectares. This lake is owned by the authorities of Mysore Zoo, and they generate good amount of revenue from the ticket sales to enthusiasts who visit this lake.
Places to visit near Mysore
There are multiple places one can visit near to Mysore. Mysore tourism guide also recommends places within the radius of 100kms we have places like :-
- Bandipur National Park – It is a wildlife sanctuary. Its falls at the distance of 80kms from Mysore and is also known to be one of the well preserved National park in India.
- Shivanasamudra Falls – is famous for its waterfalls. It is at the distance of 81 kms from Mysore and situated in Mandya district in Karnataka state. It is knoen to be one of the best and popular waterfalls near Bangalore.
- Nagarhole National Park – is a wildlife sanctuary. It is located at the distance of 88 kms form Mysore. Nagarhole National Park is known to be one of the best wildlife sanctuaries in the entire south india.
- Shravenabelagola – It is a historical heritage and a pilgrimage of Jain’s. It is 83kms away from Mysore. It is one most popular pilgrimage center in South India for jain’s.